Please read this exam thoroughly before beginning. Please include a title page to your exam and reference material used as necessary using APSA citation style.
Patten, Mildred L. 2014. Understanding Research Methods 9th Ed. Pyrczak Publishing
1.This book review should be two-three pages in length. Your reflective reviews should answer the following three questions: What did the writer of the book try to communicate?; How clearly and convincingly did he or she get this message across?; and Was the message worth reading? Your reflective review should contain the following four elements:
NOTE: look back in your notes and hand-outs on how to write a book review.
2. Please write an article review (20 points)
You will be reviewing the article used previously in this class on gun violence:
Robert Birnbaum. 2013. “Ready, Fire, Aim: The College Campus Gun Fight.” Change 45 (5): 6-14.
Typically, there are five areas or tasks to be accomplished when someone writes a critique of an article. Your critique should be two to three pages in length. Your critique should include the following elements:
- a. Evaluate the thesis
- b. Evaluate the methods used
- c. Evaluate whether there was enough evidence to support the thesis
- d. Evaluate the contributions to the literature the article makes
- e. Make recommendations by telling readers who would benefit from reading the article, what that benefit would be, and how important and to what degree this benefit would be
3. Please write a descriptive 100-word abstract, (in your own words) for the Robert Birnbaum (2013) Ready, Fire, Aim: The College Campus Gun Fight article used in question two above (6 points).