a concise train of thought with arguments that are informative, Art Essay Questions help
Answer each of the following questions in a well-developed essay that shows a clear, concise train of thought with arguments that are informative and based on material you have studied in class. Each essay should be about 3–4 paragraphs in length. A paragraph will normally contain 6–8 sentences. Do not write your essay by trying to fill up the space requirements, nor should you just simply answer the sub-questions. Rather develop and think through an argument that addresses all the questions as well as providing additional supporting material so that your essay is a complete and well-supported idea. This should an academic essay in an expository writing form.
- In the film documentary, Canta y No Llores (Sing and Don’t Cry), different narrative scenes are shown that depict different representations of mariachi music culture, for example:
- Mariachi ensemble from Venezuela
- Student mariachi from Tucson
- Regional mariachi tradicional (older musicians)
- Family mariachi (father and son)
Choose two of these scenes to answer the following questions:
- What does mariachi mean for this group of performers (beyond the obvious answer that they enjoy playing)?
- How is that meaning for that particular group connected to mariachi’s historic development? (For example, mariachi for the student group is a way to connect to their parent’s heritage, which is ironic because that heritage is often an imagined idea for being Mexican, developed by movies and music).
Note: Your essay should be able to incorporate the knowledge you have learned on mariachi from the course materials. If you do not mention any examples from the readings or other lecture material, you will not have answered the questions successfully. Remember your essay must discuss two separate groups from the film. (Worth 25 points)
- Describe the similarities and differences between música de banda and mariachi? Include a description of instruments, style of dress and music performed. Is one of these musics more popular than the other in Mexico? In US? Offer specific information from the readings and lecture material to support your answers. (Worth 25 points)
When you answer questions, always cite examples form the course lectures, videos, and readings. You should not give an opinion that you cannot support with evidence that comes from material you have studied. Please keep this in mind.
- DUE DATE: Monday, July 24, @ Noon (12:00 pm).
- To receive credit for the assignment, you must submit your essays as a WORD document, 12-point font, typed and doubled spaced with your NAME on the paper.
- If it is not submitted as a WORD document, then it will not be grade