Week 7 Discussion-Research Process
- In Week 4’s lecture notes, I talk briefly about Plato’s view of poetry and poets. Essentially, Plato says that poetry is a lie and poets are liars, therefore, neither belong in society. Make an argument that either supports or refutes Plato’s criticism regarding poetry.
- How are the roles of men and women portrayed in any of the works we’ve read? What gender expectations do they follow or fight against?
- How does an author use elements such as light and dark (or other symbols/images) to foreshadow or advance a plot?
- What insights into human nature do we get from the stories/plays/poems we’ve read over the course of the term?
- Choose a character from the stories we’ve read and do a detailed analysis of that character by which you argue what you think is the character’s biggest flaw or biggest strength. You may write about more than one character and compare/contrast them.
As you know, this course culminates with a 1,500 word research paper. Possible research topics are in the WEEK 7 MODULE, along with more specific details about the research essay. You may use one of these topics, or you may come up with your own. If you choose to come up with your own, you must have advanced approval from me.
Pick three topics that interest you. Make a quick preliminary search in the library (online library is fine). What kind of information did you find? Based on the types of information, the quality of information, and your interest in the subject, how will you use this information? This post should be at least 300 words. Once you’ve finished, review your classmates’ posts. Respond to at least two of your classmate’s in at least 200 words.
YOU MUST POST YOUR RESPONSE TO THE DISCUSSION PROMPT FIRST! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR CLASSMATES’ POSTS UNTIL YOU SUBMIT YOUR RESPONSE.