Possible topics for the history paper (7 pages, choose one topic)
1. The Roman Republic was plagued with a series of internal conflicts. Write an essay analyzing how social, political, and economic inequalities led to violent confrontations turn in turn altered the political landscape of the Republic.
2. Christianity emerged as just one of many new cults during the early years of the Roman Empire. Write an essay analyzing why Christianity proved so popular within the Roman context. How can we explain the extraordinary success of this new faith?
3. The Roman Empire finally collapsed during the later half of the 5th century C.E. Write an essay explaining what the principle factors were in the Empire’s decline. Was Rome’s fall inevitable or merely the result of a series of poor political choices?
4. The emergence of Islam in the 7th century was one of the most remarkable and significant events of the early Middle Ages. Write an essay explaining the rapid spread and appeal of the new faith. How did the rise of Islam affect not just the Arabian peninsula but ultimately the entire Mediterranean and beyond?
• Make sure your introduction clearly lays out what you will be arguing.
• Indent your paragraphs.
• Avoid the use of personal pronouns in your essay.
• Be sure to use transitional sentences to get from one paragraph to the next.
• Check for run-on sentences that need to be broken up into smaller units.
• Break up long blocks of text into smaller paragraphs.
• Remember to cite your sources as you use them throughout your paper.
• Place any footnotes you have at the end of the sentence.
• Number your pages.
• Make a point of proofreading through your paper when you are done to catch
any errors you may have accidentally overlooked.
• Remove any spaces between your paragraphs
• 7 pages means 7 pages