The Disease Models
In order to complete this assignment you must use this book : Chapters 1 and 2
Thombs, D. L. (20130708). Introduction to Addictive Behaviors, Fourth Edition, 4th Edition. [Bookshelf Online]. Retrieved from https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/#/books/97814625…
The Disease Models
- The Disease Models Scoring Guide.
- Addiction Case Studies.
- Mapping the APA Manual.
- Additional Guidelines for Formatting Papers.
- APA Guide.
- APA Paper Template.
- APA Style and Format.
- Writing Feedback Tool.
For this assignment, imagine you are a counselor working in a disease model treatment program. Select one of the case studies you were introduced to in the last unit. The person in your selected case study will represent the “client” who is seeking help from your program.
Complete the following sections for this assignment:
- Introduction—In this section of the paper:
- Identify the client from the case study and briefly summarize the client’s demographic characteristics and addictive behavior history that are relevant to the disease models of addiction. This section sets the stage for the next sections.
- Applications of Disease Models—In this section:
- Apply your understanding of the disease models of addiction to your client. Do client demographics and history suggest that your client suffers from a disease of addiction? Based on your interpretation, what disease model treatment strategies might you recommend for this client?
- Sociocultural Factors and the Disease Models—Finally, in the last section:
- Describe how sociocultural factors (“medicalization” of addictions through diagnoses, medical treatment, pharmacotherapy, genetic influences, brain scans, and media portrayal of addictions) may affect the client’s perception of the problem and the addictive behavior.
- Describe factors that may contribute to the addictive behavior as well as factors that may be helpful in overcoming the addiction from the perspective of the disease models of addiction.
- Length: The paper should be 2–3 pages, excluding the title page and resources page.
- References: Throughout your paper, apply relevant research findings from scholarly literature using in-text citations to support your reasoning. Include references for each of your citations in a separate reference page at the end of your paper.
- Turnitin: Prior to submitting, submit your paper to Turnitin, which will help ensure that you have given proper credit for the information presented in the paper.
In addition, look through The Disease Models Scoring Guide to ensure you have met all of the criteria for the assignment.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.