The goal of this paper is to understand how the brain and memory processes are intertwined and how certain techniques can improve these processes. In an essay of 1,000-1,250 words, discuss how memories are formed and maintained in the brain through the actions of neural circuitry. Use at least four scholarly resources to address the following questions:
- Theoretically, how is working memory similar to and different from long-term memory?
- How are memories formed in the brain (using neural circuitry), and how are they maintained?
- When is it adaptive to remember, and in what ways may it be adaptive to forget?
- Given what we know about brain mechanisms in memory, are our memories accurate? Explain your answer using information on how memories are stored in the brain.
- How can knowledge of the brain and memory systems be used to help individuals suffering from memory problems (e.g., poor memory, amnesia, PTSD)?
- Compare the role age and environment play in how memories are formed and maintained.