Population Health Tools – Measuring Health
How Healthy is Your Community?
The expression “Think Globally, Act Locally” guides your Discussion this week. By accessing information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, you will have the opportunity to learn how healthy your community is. You will identify the key health issues and vulnerable populations in your own county. Understanding the factors that influence the health status of residents in your county will provide you with a local perspective to compare to global health challenges you will examine in weeks to come.
To prepare for this Discussion, first learn a little about the health statistics for your county. If you are not located in the U.S., pick a state and county you might like to visit or know more about to complete this assignment. Go to the Community Health Status Indicators Report, and select your state and county to review your local report.
Then, go to the Walden Library and find at least one recent (within last 5 years) article in addition to your Learning Resources to document, and support, the concepts you include in your Discussion post. For suggestions to help with your search, visit the Library http://library.waldenu.edu/908.htm
By Day 4, post a comprehensive response to the following:
Using the information available on the Community Health Status Indicators Report, provide a summary of the following information in your county. Use the article(s) you located, as well as your Learning Resources, to support your answers to the following questions in your post:
1. Identify your county and state.
2. How healthy is your county? What evidence did you use to come to your conclusion?
3. What vulnerable populations are identified in your county? Are there groups of individuals who have health disparities? Are there issues related to access to care within your county? If so, what are they?
4. Highlight the risk factors for premature death and environmental health concerns seen in you county.
5. Where does your county excel or fall behind in preventive health? Provide examples.
Resources for files below: