PAPER DUE ON WEDNESDAY MARCH 15TH AT 1:00 PM Santos Book Review- 150 points
The purpose of the review is to analyze and describe the major findings, themes, and conclusions of the book/study; thus, the review is more than a summary of the book.
Read Santos’ Inside, including the authors note, prologue and introduction. Utilize examples (PROVIDE ACTUAL EXAMPLES AND CHARACTER NAMES) from your reading to support your analysis and discussions of the themes in the book. Your paper will be submitted via Blackboard and be typed in 12 point font, 1 inch margins, double spaced.
At a minimum, your book review should answer the following questions;
- Based on the beginning of the book, discuss the sentencing process in this country. What can be said about racial, ethnic, and socio-economic bias? Use examples including actual character names and passages to support this theme.
- Discuss sending drug offenders to prison. What does it accomplish? Is there a better alternative? If there is, but it doesn’t exist yet, write about it anyway (use your imagination!) Use examples including actual character names and passages to support this theme.
- Describe how the prison culture and inmate rules discussed in the book help or hurt an inmate adjust to prison. What part do correctional officers play, if any, in this adjustment? Use examples including actual character names and passages to support this theme.
- Based on the book, does a prison sentence (long or short) change an offender’s behavior? In what way? If cost was not an issue, what type of programs/education would you offer to prison inmates, IF it would change their behavior for the better? How would you ensure that it worked? What would you do if it didn’t work? Use examples including actual character names and passages to support this theme.
- Having read the Santos book, what are some of the larger themes that you get from the book? Are we doing anything, right? Wrong? Where do we need to go from here?