It is said that modern art began with revolution: industrial and political. It also began with the revolt of artists like James McNeill Whistler against the artistic traditions that had dominated art since the Renaissance. For the first time, some artists began to explore art as an expression of individual will and vision while others continued to uphold tradition. In your first Discussion Forum, you will choose a painting from the late 18th or early 19th century by a Neoclassical or Romantic artist.
In your two paragraph response , you will describe the ways in which this painting reflects the spirit of either Romanticism or Neoclassicism. Be sure to do the reading and watch the video supplements so that you understand these two movements before you begin. As you approach the assignment, consider the following:
- Briefly identify the artist and describe the subject of the painting.
- What were the artist’s goals?
- Does the painting tell a story? If so, how is it visually communicated through color and mood?
- Does the painting express social and political ideas? If so, what are they?
- How does the painting express the visual characteristics and themes of either Romanticism or Neoclassical art?