Part II. Short Questions.
1. Relate each of the following theoretical notions to the rise of China as a major player in world politics:
a. Hobbesian Anarchy
b. Lockean Anarchy
c. Kanitian Anarchy
2. Who are these individuals? What do you think about the specific place of each in world/Chinese history?
a. Sun Yat-sen (1866-1925)
b. Chiang Kai-shek (1887-1975)
c. Mao Zedong (1893-1976)
d. Deng Xiaoping (1904-1997)
3. What do the following events (which took place in China) represent?
a. “The Long March” (1934-1935)
b. “The Great Leap Forward” (1958-1960)
c. “The Great Cultural Revolution” (1966-1976)
d. “The Tiananmen Incident” (1989)
4. Compare and contrast the following inter-related concepts or historical figures:
- Neutral freedom vs. positive freedom
- Crisis of normative egalitarianism vs. crisis of territoriality
- Intrinsic interests vs. derivative interests