Word Parts Assignment (Part 1):
Directions: Below are terms built from word parts. Analyze each term by listing and defining the word parts used to build it.
Directions: Rewrite each of the following using medical terms.
1. Mrs. Scott’s painful menstrual flow was treated with a surgical procedure to widen the cervix and scrape the endometrial lining
2. Over time, Mrs. Martinez had developed an abnormal passageway between her bladder and vagina.
3. The one who studies newborns assists with a birth through an incision in the abdominal and uterine walls.
4. The new patient visiting the doctor who studies women’s issues was in her first pregnancy and had no births.
5. Maria was happy to find out she had a benign breast tumor of fiberlike tissue, not a malignant tumor of the milk glands of the breast.
6. A procedure to visually examine the bladder revealed the presence of a bladder stone, and the patient underwent a surgical procedure to crush the stone.
7. An x-ray record of the renal pelvis made after the insertion of a dye through the urethra confirmed the diagnosis of inflammation of the renal pelvis and kidney.
8. An evaluation of the semen for fertility performed six weeks after the surgical removal of the vas deferens confirmed the lack of sperm.
9. The results of the physical examination of the urine showed that there was pus in the urine, bacteria in the urine, and sugar in the urine.
10. The patient required a creation of a new opening to the ureter following the removal of the bladder for bladder cancer.
Abbreviations (Part 3)
Directions: Please define each of the following abbreviations in the space provided.
6. PI, para I