Screening devices are brief, easy-to-administer assessments that evaluate a vast array of cognitive, social, emotional, behavioral, motor, language, and other behaviors and skills” (Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E. , 2015, p.149).In this discussion forum we will take a look at some specific screeners in order to better understand how we can use them to help children meet and exceed their developmental milestones. There are three parts to this discussion.
Step 1: To help you decide which screening assessments you want to further explore, make sure to read section 5.4 of your course text. Then, choose one commonly used screening assessment from three different developmental domains located in the chart below. You do not need to purchase any screeners to complete this discussion, but instead just need to read the information on the website to understand the purpose of the screener.
Step 2: Create a three circle venn diagram using the Three Circle Venn Diagram template that compares and contrasts the three screeners you chose. Please view the Sample Screener Venn Diagram for an example of what you are doing. If you need additional help with how to create a three circle venn diagram, please watch THIS VIDEO. In your venn diagram, you will need to address the following about each of the three screeners you chose:
- Age of children the screener is used with.
- The skills the screener measures.
- Who typically administers the screener.
- What you might see during an observation that would lead you to using this screener.
- What information you can learn about a child from administering the screener.
Step 3: Upload a PDF copy of your three circle venn diagram as an attachment to the discussion forum and address the following:
- Discuss how you can use the three screeners you examined together to ensure the children you working with are meeting their developmental milestones. Use your course text to support your response.
- Explain what your next steps would be after administering the three screeners to a child whose development you were concerned about.
- Discuss the importance of involving families in the screening process. Make sure to include specific examples that are connected to the three screeners you chose.