Assignment 3: Changes in the Human Figure in Art
You likely noticed that during the two hundred years covered in this week’s study there were radical changes in how the human figure is depicted in Italy, from something that was highly stylized to an idealized form that looked more real yet was strongly influenced by the Classical Age of ancient Greece and Rome. In the Northern Europe, however, depiction of the human form remained rooted in the Middle Ages and remained somewhat stylized.
Use the textbook and/or online sources to locate and capture three works of art.
- one from the Early Renaissance (fourteenth century, 1300–1399)
- one from the Northern European Renaissance (fifteenth century, 1400–1499)
- one from the Italian Renaissance (fifteenth century, 1400–1499)
Your works of art must either be all paintings or all sculptures.
Place these images in a Word document. Then do the following:
- For each image identify:
- The artist
- Title of the work of art
- The date(s) it was created
- The medium or materials used to create the work of art, such as oil paint, marble, etc.
- Where the work is located now.
- In a well-developed paragraph (4–6 sentences) provide at least two important historical facts about each piece that makes the piece important to the history of art.
- In another well-developed paragraph (4–6 sentences), describe how the artist had depicted the human figure, supporting your observation using vocabulary from this week’s reading.
- In a 6–10-sentence concluding paragraph(s):
- Compare and contrast how the depiction of the human figure has changed. Be sure to note such things as general appearance of the figures; their body types; whether the figures have been stylized, elongated, or idealized; and whether their clothing, colors, and other visual details have changed.
- Based on your reading and what you learned from the historic facts you have for each work of art discuss what may have been influencing factors behind these changes.
- Offer a citation of your sources for each image and the information provided as appropriate.
Submit your effort by Saturday, January 14, 2017, to the W1: Assignment 3 Dropbox. Name your document as follows: LastnameFirstInitial_W1_A3.doc
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||
|Chose one Early Renaissance, one Northern European Renaissance, and one Italian Renaissance image (painting or sculpture) and supplied the images’ artists, titles, dates, media, and current locations. (3 images x 6 points)||
|Identified one or two important historical facts about each piece that makes each piece important to the history of art. (3 images x 6 points)||
|Described and analyzed how the artist of each piece depicted the human figure, supporting your observation using vocabulary from this week’s reading. (3 images x 9 points)||
|Compared and contrasted how the depiction of the human figure has changed, noting such things as general appearance of the figures, their body types, have the figures been stylized, elongated, idealized, their clothing, colors, and other visual details.||
|Offered logical explanations changes in the way the human figure was portrayed over this span of time and commented on why the human figure continued to have such an important place in the artistic world.||
|Used correct spelling and grammar. Cited sources in APA format.||