Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Apply leadership decision-making skills in a correctional administration environment.
- Competency 4: Determine ethical parameters applicable in correctional settings.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse populations.
In this unit, there have been several explanations provided as to why people behave unethically. One reason is for personal gain or out of selfishness. Another reason is official deviance. A third reason discussed is noble-cause corruption. Given the explanations presented, official deviance and noble-cause corruption may actually be well intentioned, but are still unethical. As a correctional officer or a part of correctional management, it is important to recognize these unethical behaviors to ensure the orderly running of the facility.
To reiterate, leaders must be able to recognize unethical behavior and discern the type of unethical behavior taking place. For this assignment, you will be required to watch the NBC videos from the unit studies.
- Joyce Mitchell Charged for Role in New York Prison Escape.
- For this video, assume the practice of gaining these false confessions is unethical (as the video does not specifically state this).
- Research Finds Interrogation Techniques to Blame for False Confessions.
After viewing both videos, complete the following:
- Identify the type of corruption that is behind the behavior presented in each video.
- Explain factors that could lead to the unethical behavior taking place in each video.
- Evaluate how the identified unethical behaviors you identified in prompt two can affect the orderly running of the facility.
- Determine two ways correctional staff and/or management could have prevented this unethical behavior, using the information provided in the Joyce Mitchell arrest.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA guidelines.
- Required number of references: A minimum of two.
- Required page count: Three typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
This is the link for the resource needed to complete the assignment—–https://media.capella.edu/CourseMedia/CJ3270/trans…