Argumentation Essay on Smoking in Public Places, English homework help
Write a 600-750 word argumentation/persuasion essay using any approach as a method of development.
An effective argumentative essay must have evidence to make its case; most arguments that occur in daily life happen in the heat of the moment and are more likely directed toward saving one’s own pride than toward giving clear and supportive proof to one’s claims. MLA Format
Knowing how to brainstorm is going to save you from writing a weak essay. Also, knowing how to support your claims with evidence from outside sources will further strengthen your essay. For that reason, this assignment requires the use of two references (no internet sources). In addition, you will add a Works Cited page at the end of your essay. Finally, your Works Cited page will be in MLA (Modern Language Association) format so that all information provided will be easy for your reader to find.
- Study Chapter 14, “Acknowledging Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism,” in The St. Martin’s Handbook to see how to cite the sources you use in your paper.
- Study Chapter 32, “MLA Style,” in The St. Martin’s Handbook for more information on finding and using references in your essays in MLA format.
- Go to Writing Research Papers and Citing Sources at the Purdue OWL website for more on MLA, to include sample papers.
Purpose: to persuade
Method of Development: your choice
For argumentative/persuasive topics, see the list at the end of Chapter 11, Argumentation-Persuasion, in
The Longman Reader.
- Use the topic Smoking in Public Places
- Research for appropriate evidence to support your argument. While you are researching, be sure to note all information necessary to filling out your Works Cited page for that entry.
- Remember your conclusion and your Works Cited page in MLA format.